Header Intro

This is a story detailing my battle with Liver Disease and the events the got me here. It is a story of hope and determination and inspiration.

If you enjoy this blog, please follow, subscribe and pass it along to friends.

Friday, June 1, 2012

familiarity breeds contempt

Seven days and it will be exactly six months since my transplant day. Wow, what a ride. So, so much has happened in my life. New liver, recovery, new lease on life, getting reacquainted with old friends, finding faith and the ultimate betrayal. With every cloud comes a silver lining, does that imply with every silver lining comes a cloud. Welcome to the vicious circle and the mortal coil. What I find the most interesting is how people who openly profess their love and loyalty can spin 180 degrees with multiple acts of duplicity. How every minute of every day is criticized and examined for flaws with microscopic exactness. Every small infraction is over blown to epic proportions. The meanings of forgiveness, compassion, understanding and empathy are lost. Does anyone have the answers? I suppose familiarity breeds contempt. Postings of my trasnplant and early life experiences as well as current events will follow shortly.

5 comments:

  1. So glad to read an update after such a long break. I'm sorry that there is a betrayal mixed in with your new lease on life. Looking forward to reading more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back- I hope you get a chance to reacquaint yourself with the story you were hoping to realize- fishman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little guy not working so good after the surgery. I read that might happen, no worries, there's a pill for that! Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... thanks for asking, or commenting rather because your statement was just that, a statement and not a question. But things are working much better than pre-surgery if you're referring to Libido and sexual desire. I joke that my liver came from a much younger man or a Cassanova.

      You may find the following info from the Cincinnati Transplant Center enlightening "Sexual activity can resume early after discharge from the hospital. Because of illness, many patients experience impotence or lack of desire prior to the transplant. This usually reverses itself after transplant, but a patient's libido tends to return slowly."

      I can only speak from personal experience and again I'll re-emphasize that the whole experience including Libido return has been positive and a blessing. If you have any more comments or questions I'll be happy to respond.

      Warmly,
      L.S.

      Delete
  4. The other Bob FathmanJune 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

    Hi, Rob. Like the others, it was good to hear from you. I've wondered how you were coming along. Sounds like the physical stuff is in good shape. I'm so sorry to hear that some personal things have gone south. I look forward to hearing more. Sounds like you have gained in so many ways, despite the personal setback,whatever that was. I hope those good things can outweigh the disappointments. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete