Header Intro

This is a story detailing my battle with Liver Disease and the events the got me here. It is a story of hope and determination and inspiration.

If you enjoy this blog, please follow, subscribe and pass it along to friends.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

It is officially official.

I just got the call. I'm listed along with 72,381 other people waiting for a liver. My region, officially called region 1 is New England. Wait times are longer here than the national average because of our concentrated demographics. I'm also trying to get listed in region 10, Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. The waitlist is usually shorter there, I have family there the medical center I'm looking at has a great rep for survival rates.

Here is the rub; my Hepatologist doesn't want me to get a liver until I've started Interferon treatment. Apparently studies suggest that survival rate is remarkably better on a transplant patient that doesn't have Hep C. I have a 14% chance of a cure until I hit the 4 week stage of the protocol, if my viral load has changed, meaning subsided my cure percentage jumps to 59%. Not bad odds if that happens. The dilemma is what do I do if I get offered a liver two weeks into my interferon treatment? Do I turn it down and hope to get a liver later? Do I take it, hope for the best and hope the cure will take after the transplant? What would you do? What would you suggest?

On another note, I'll be in Indie the week of the 12th and I'll need a chaperone while I'm the hospital just in case something happens and to show the staff that I have the proper support during recovery. If you could spare a day, sitting around a hospital waiting room, possibly going to a couple of seminars holding my hand while I have my prostate examined... Oh, wait. Wrong tests. Anyway, if you can help, you know how to get a hold of me.

Best,

Liver Serum

2 comments:

  1. Don't be an idiot, if they offer you a liver you take it. If you say no, you will die. Taking the cure has to fit in to your reality. Your reality is that you will die without a new liver. Having said that, there is very little chance you will get an offer before you have taken the Interferon treatment. They call it a waiting list for a reason. I wish you all the luck in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,

    I like your passion and conviction. My hepatologist wouldn't necessarily agree with you though. Do you have any experience with Liver Disease? I'm inclined to give it the four weeks on the protocal before really having to think about it. And yes, you're right, the likelyhood of me being offered a liver before then is slim.

    Best,

    Liver Serum

    ReplyDelete